Just need to attach the hinges, wax up the legs and do the braid inside the box and then it’s all done!
It’s been a long haul but worth it in the end…Once she’s fully finished I’ll post some before and after shots.
I’ve enjoyed the festive season but happy to get back to all this now…
I have managed to get my hands on some interesting items here… a pair of Queen Anne mahogany ‘drop-in’ chairs that been painted cream, but on the positive, they have been ripped out already which will save me some work!
And a new type of project for me is a french headboard, I think the wood is walnut. Some beautiful detailing in the wood and all in great condition.
But before I get my hands on these, I’ll be focusing on finishing my Ottoman/Chaise…
Can’t wait to lounge, but it maybe a few weeks yet!!
Currently focusing on the chaise/ottoman back and it’s coming together rather quickly…one of the benefits to modern upholstery!
The foam filling has been fixed onto the hessian base, a layer of wadding is placed onto top of the foam and then the calico layer goes on top. The calico is pulled firmly to hold the foam in place and maintain the shape and then stapled down.
My plan is to have a deep buttoning pattern on the chaise back…So, the pattern will need to be measured out and then cuts made into the foam to create a hole for each button, these holes will reach the hessian base.
I’ll be working on the box, completing all the hand stitching that I haven’t done, over the next week…so I should be suitably stitched up!!
Refitted the Chaise back, which was a little tricky…but then got to work on fixing the webbing and the hessian base, it’s looking different again. This will be ready for the foam layer, webbing and calico cover…Let’s see what another week brings!
The line of the fabric must be placed on straight – it’s held down with some staples and then once sure of the position, I used some ‘back-tacking’ strip which is fixed with staples, this combination gives a perfect straight edge. All four pieces have been placed in position up to the corners.
I need to put the ‘back’ part of the chaise back on now, so I can complete the outside covering…Lets see where I get to next week!