Tag Archives: reupholster

Opulent Ottoman – Chaise…A Pure Purple Delight!

???????????????????????????????  So, here it is…most the of the upholstery work is    now complete!

Just need to attach the hinges, wax up the legs and  do the braid inside the box and then it’s all done!

It’s been a long haul but worth it in the end…Once she’s fully finished I’ll post some before and after shots.

 

Advertisements

Sewing, Piping, Shaping, Fitting, Hand-Stitching – Very Patiently!!

???????????????????????????????Can’t believe it’s been so long…

So here’s the latest,  completed fixing the top fabric onto the back of the ottoman/chaise and fitted the side edges of the chaise back piece.

This required a sandwich of felt and poly wadding to soften and smooth all the different converging edges.

I made a template of the shape for cutting purposes and then fitted the piece temporarily, thus allowing the shape to be manipulated until I was happy and then the piping was pinned on.

I’ve made the single piping to dress the edges and I am now hand-stitching the side pieces and piping so that it’s all securely fixed.

On the seat or box top, the lining has been completed too, one long edge was stapled using back-stripping tape and all the other edges were hand-stitched.

It’s getting very close to finishing, so need to get a braid to finish all the internal box seams/joins.

DSC01385 ?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????


Devils in the Delicate Details – That Take Time!!

DSC01321I’ve been working on lots of tricky sections on the chaise back – and it’s been very time-consuming.

I have completed the side edges, creating a tidy fan of pleats on the head roll, the pleats were pinned in place and then tacked down…it can be an awkward job – I managed to hammer a tack into my finger! OOOUCH – LOL! Really NOT recommended!!

Next job, is to work on the back section. starting at the top fixing the hessian base, a polyester wadding sandwich and the top fabric. I used some back-tacking card to hold this firmly in place. Then its fixing on the sides and the bottom…involving lots of hand stitching!

Once the back is done, I’ll do the side sections…in the meantime I need to decide how I want to finish the seam edges, could be piping, cord or braid…ooooh the choices!

DSC01321 DSC01322 DSC01323


A New Year – New Projects – New Challenges!

Queen Anne chairs

Queen Anne chairs

headboard

headboard

I’ve enjoyed the festive season but happy to get back to all this now…

I have managed to get my hands on some interesting items here… a pair of Queen Anne mahogany ‘drop-in’ chairs that been painted cream, but on the positive, they have been ripped out already which will save me some work!

And a new type of project for me is a french headboard, I think the wood is walnut. Some beautiful detailing in the wood and all in great condition.

But before I get my hands on these, I’ll be focusing on finishing my Ottoman/Chaise…

DSC01117 DSC01121

DSC01290 DSC01289 DSC01288 DSC01286 DSC01277